Friday, December 17, 2010

Reministream: Childhood Cartoons and Capers

Reministream. This is a blog entry that has anything and everything to do with my childhood: memories, experiences, likes and dislikes. 

***
Very recently in Facebook, someone started the movement to change profile pictures to cartoon characters for the victims of child abuse. Now, I'm not sure if all those cartoon characters were able to help an abused child but what I was sure about was that those profile pictures made me reminisce about my favorite cartoon characters when I was a child. 


The Flying House
I grew up watching cartoons like Flying House and Superbook, Voltes V, Daimos and Voltron (they were all in English then! I attribute my English grammar know-how to those shows...but I digress).







Voltes V Team
I watched a whole lot of other cartoons that I now cannot name. I remember that cartoon time was as important as play time because cartoons helped foster my vivid imagination. After watching Voltron, I wanted to be Princess Allura (but I ended up being Lance, I think) and Jamie for Voltes V (but I ended up being Steve) whenever I'd do playacting with my sister and cousins. Those were the days of jumping from high sofas and beds and sliding down long banisters. Those were the days of running around till you smell of sun and sweat. 


Rainbow Brite with Twink and Sprite
Another childhood favorite of mine, which I eventually chose as my profile picture, was Rainbow Brite. I wanted to be her when I grew up. I wanted to own a creture like Twink and a horse like Sprite. I would always ask my mom to buy me those small jelly cups with the Rainbow Brite characters on the top cover. Even when I was already working, whenever I'd see those jellies with the Rainbow Brite characters on them, I'd buy just because. I remember when I was young, I would get a box of crayons and a sharpener and collect the shavings. I would crumble them all up to mix the colors and come up with my version of the star sprinkles. I also remember asking my mom to go all the way to this area where there was a meet-and-greet with Rainbow Brite herself and I pestered her to get me those sticker books. 


I loved those days.


I hope children of this new generation would get the chance to experience all that did when I was growing up: to run around the house and street and yard...to jump off high beds and sofas and slide down banisters (give their folks a decent heart attack at the same time). Believe me when I say that I did get hurt from all those fiasco, even getting my head injured (as in an open, blood-gushing-out kinda wound) twice but I kid you not when I tell you (as my parents were probably wondering where they went wrong with me) that it was ALL GOOD.  

Those were what good memories were made of.




1 comment:

  1. We watched the same shows! Admittedly, even Rainbow Bright, only because of my sister. Nevertheless, if it had appealing characters and funny voices, I'd watch it. Other shows that caught my childhood fancy were Plastic Man, New Zoo Review, Space Age Coaster, Snorkels, Centurions, Inhumanoids, Mask, Comic Strip (Street Frogs, Tiger Sharks, Monster Camp, Karate Kat), Thundercats and a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete